So quick recap: My Dad is riding his recumbent trike ( http://www.greenspeed.com.au/trikes.html) from Rome to Paris over a 4 month period, he is about halfway through and I wanted to share a couple of things from his blog that have blown me away this morning.
Lets keep in mind I don’t have a very ‘fit’ family, and my father started his - lets be frank - obsession with his trike about 6 years ago, and he is now crazy fit and does completely stupid things - like riding from Rome to Paris. So he is currently somewhere in France, yapping on about something to do with the Tour de France and how he is riding some of their more difficult stages. And I want to share some comments from his blog with you.
Today, though, I’ve had a pretty good go anyway. Grenoble to Bourg d’Oisans is a fair climb in its own right. I’ve come to a Chambre d’Hote about three kilometres short of the town… I rode 46.7km and climbed 680m with all my luggage at an average speed of 16.2kph. That took 2 hours and 52 minutes and my average heart rate was 117 beats per minute. Am I pleased with those numbers? Oh, I think so!! Should I mention my 59th birthday in about 6 weeks. Why not?
Then the next day, as he does a more difficult day, he says this.
There’s a quiet satisfaction as I sit down to write this. I did make it to Alpe d’Huez, and that feels like I have ticked off something major for my European adventure. I have ridden up a Hors Categorie climb. This whole thing has led me to a personal achievement, and I am pleased about that.
I’ll begin with the numbers. Numbers make sense to me. Distance: 13.80km Time: 1 hour, 52 minutes, 14 seconds Average Speed: 7.4kph Climb: 1203m Average Heart Rate: 148 beats per minute Maximum Heart Rate: 159 beats per minute
My father is an insane man!!! But that second piece was an incline of 12% in places. So, you have to be happy with that!!
If anyone wants to check out his actual blog here is the link…
I’m in a HORRIBLE mood and its my nephews first birthday today and nasty sarcastic words are coming out of my mouth before they get filtered by my brain and I don’t really like children (okay I hate them) but I like my nephew and my sister told me there would be about 8 and not there are like 18 and I’m really really angry and upset and I can’t say anything because its Will’s (nephew) big day and I just ARGH!!!!!
Feeling properly awake for the first time today....
I’ve been doing all what I need to do all day, eating properly, drinking water and tea. I’ve tried a hot shower, still fucked. Got out side and did some physical activity (sweeping the front stoop and driveway), utterly Blerg!!!! Rested - not slept - while trying to keep my mind busy. Then I had lunch… Nom nom nom English muffins with ham, cheese, avocado and tomato and I finally feel decent!!!! Yay!!! Going to have some tea and then see about getting up and going again.
ahealthodyssey said: Freaking excellent goal! This is sooooooo on my bucket list!!!
timtamslam said: this is a beautiful, precious goal. good luck lovely! x
Thank you beautiful ladies!!!
I’ll have to really sit down and think about how I do this, but you can be damned sure I’ll be having that conversation with my GP, my Physio and my PT in the coming weeks. I need to find a way to have achievable goals to get to this, to have a way of motivating myself towards this and to have a way of holding myself accountable to it.
Part of holding myself accountable towards it was to post it.. I might attempt to work out a count down and put it on the blog somehow, but I’ll need help with that one!!!
I totally just made a new page on my blog for this stuff.. but this is important enough for me to want people to see too!
Okay, so I tend not to try to think about the goals at the moment, other than in really short little things that I can do, which I’ll be talking about soon, as I’ve got some ideas that I’m going to kick in on when I get back from Canberra next week, but I wanted to put up a big goal that I have.
For reasons of his own, my Father went alone to Sydney on his 50th birthday and climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
No this isn’t a photo of him doing it, but a photo of what it looks like to climb it. However, it was something he needed to do for himself and so he did it.
Next year, he turns 60 and while we were packing up my Grandmothers house over Easter we talked about the fact that he is going back to do it again next year, and this time he would like to take the three of us (his children) with him. He talked about how much it would mean to him.
Now, I have a fear of heights in the open, in a Theatre I get a little freaked but am fine (though its been a long while since I’ve been continuously in a theatre). Out in nature, or man made spaces, where I can see whats underneath me without knowing the safety stuff (other than this would be really safe) I get really freaked.
I’d love to climb the Bridge, not just to help my Father celebrate a really big milestone, but also because its one of the innumerable things I look at and scoff, thinking to myself there is no way in hell my stupid body would ever let me do that. So I decided at Easter, that I was climbing that bridge, even if it wasn’t next year on my Dad’s birthday.
Speaking with my Dad at the time, he said that if I couldn’t manage it then, that he would come back with me and do it another time.
So this is my goal, by August 2013, to have enough strength in my body, stamina in my nervous system, and training, to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge with my Father for his 60th Birthday
If this doesn’t happen, I will be disappointed, but I will be climbing it one day with him.
One of my biggest fears in regards to this, is that if I get half way up, and I can’t get back down, I will have to have a helicopter come out to ‘rescue’ me. I would find that hugely embarrassing so I’d better be sure I can do it.
There are several different climbs you can do, however, the basics of it are that you climb the outer arch on cat walks (something I’m quite used to) until you reach the summit, which is about 134 meters above Sydney Harbour. My understanding is that you then cross over the summit to the other side of the bridge and climb down again.
Here is the website if you want to look at it properly.
Once I’ve really sat down and thought about it I will be working out how I get to achieve this goal, but for now, its enough that I’m actually declaring it, to you and to myself, that this is a huge aim for me. This is something I want to do for myself, as well as for my father.
I’m exhausted, I have got dinner with one of my favourite people in the world tonight and I do not want to nap and I do not want to take have energy drinks… But the idea that it’s a test and this is part of why I’m not working and why I’m doing this now. Its so that a year from now my sleeping habits will be better, a. I won’t need energy drink and I’ll be able to do this. That thought alone has given me just a smidge more energy, but it has also made me more determined, I will rest today, but I’ll not be sleeping and I’ll not be buying crap to get me through the day!!!!
Okay, because I'm super exhausted and bored and I hate these 'pay attention to me and I'll answer these things' stuff, I thought I'd just answer them... coz I can..
1. Taken a picture naked? Yes, Yes I have. I want to get into semi nude/nude photography, I love the idea of classical nudes and things. And I want to kick start it with a shoot that's me, so yes I have and yes I will again!
2. Painted your room? Nope, But I have helped people paint.
3. Kissed a member of the same sex? Uhuh!
4. Drove a car? Yuppers
5. Danced in front of your mirror? Who doesn't?!?!
6. Had a crush? Yes,
7. Been dumped? Once!
8. Stole money from a friend? Does my Dad count?!
9. Gotten in a car with people you just met? All the time, its like a past time with the social group I hang around with.. I just wish I had more time to get to know new people in seriously bizzar situations!
10. Been in a fist fight? No, But I think these days I'm getting closer to losing the plot agains some of the stupider people in my life, and I have sure wanted to throw punches from time to time. Most recently at a SERIOUSLY offensive Dr.
11. Snuck out of your house? I never had to, I started working at 11 in my dream job that was very much a night time thing, so I'd go to work and party it up (which sounds weird, but trust me, I never worked so hard and had some much fun as the years I did working in Theatre).
12. Had feelings for someone who didn’t have them back? Its called life, I've just recently deleted the number of the 'unrequited love' of my teenage life. I wish him well and am fully aware that we would have been shit together (always knew that), but it didn't stop how badly I wanted him...
13. Been arrested? Nope.. I'm a good girl *scoff*
14. Made out with a stranger? Did I mention I worked in life theatre for 10 years... that's doesn't even need to be asked!!!
15. Met up with a member of the opposite sex somewhere? ... I'm 24, so I'm not even gonna respond to that one
16. Left your house without telling your parents? oh yea... baaaaaaadddddd idea!
17. Had a crush on your neighbor? nope.
18. Ditched school to do something more fun? nope, but then I did skip homework when I was studying online to do whatever, does that count?
19. Slept in a bed with a member of the same sex? repeatedly.
20. Seen someone die? No
21. Been on a plane? uhuh
22. Kissed a picture? uhuh
23. Slept in until 3? Probably, slept a stupidly long time, YES...
24. Love someone or miss someone right now? Many people
25. Laid on your back and watched cloud shapes go by? Not only have I done this but I've done it in the best way possible... laying on a trampoline on my back watching the cloud shapes go by... we were hard core
26. Made a snow angel? No, my first foray into the snow last week.... well it was a bit of a disaster, But it was beautiful.
27. Played dress up? All the time, even now!!
28. Cheated while playing a game? I stole about 1500 bucks when Man Friend and I played Monopoly a few weeks ago.
29. Been lonely? Everyone has.
30. Fallen asleep at work/school? I used to sleep at my school, seeing as it had my workplace attached to it and I'd finish work at stupid o'clock in the morning (3-4am)
31. Been to a club? Uhuh
32. Felt an earthquake? Oh yes, most recently was last week, where we were about 20km from the Epicenter of the damn thing with no connectivity to the outside world and NO idea what was going on.
33. Touched a snake? Yeah, and while it was creepy as hell, it was still kinda cool
34. Ran a red light? Uhuh, oops
35. Been suspended from school? Nope, I was a little brownnoiser!!!
36. Had detention? Uhuh
37. Been in a car accident? Yupers
38. Hated the way you look? Every day
39. Witnessed a crime? Uhuh!
40. Pole danced? Several times, I'm not very good at it.
41. Been lost? I can't tell left and right (a side effect of being a tech in live theatre), and I can't read maps. You do the math.
42. Been to the opposite side of the country? Of my country... nope... Next April we are going.
43. Felt like dying? More often than you could know
44. Cried yourself to sleep? See above, more often than you could know
46. Sang karaoke? Not in public...
47. Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t? Yeah, its pretty harsh, not something I'd want to do again... But I will, you will, its life, everyone does, over and over again, the trick is to not get caught up in it and just keep going.
48. Laughed until something you were drinking came out your nose? No, but laughing until I faint... yes!
49. Caught a snowflake on your tongue? Nope, the snow storm last week hurt so much when the snow flakes hit me and we weren't out in it long enough for that sort of thing.
50. Kissed in the rain? Uhuh
51. Sang in the shower? Doesn't everyone?!?! The acoustics of singing in the shower are somewhat the same as singing on stage with the speakers set up properly so you can hear yourself too... I just for the life of me can't remember the name of it right now... EDIT... one hour and a loooong shower later... the Fold back speakers... Duh!!! How could I forget that!
52. Made out in a park? uhuh
53. Dream that you married someone? nope, but maybe
54. Glued your hand to something? Isn't that like a rule that you have to do that in primary school, and then again in high school?
55. Got your tongue stuck to a flag pole? No, but the first place I moved out of home into had a flag pole... we hoisted a pirate flag... that was a seriously disgusting house, and I loved most every moment I lived there!
56. Ever gone to school partially naked? Does cleavage count?
57. Been a cheerleader? Unoffically....
58. Sat on a roof top? Oh yes, I love looking out at the Canberra skyline from the roof of the Canberra Theatre!
59. Brush your teeth? I sure hope I have once or twice!
60. Ever too scared to watch scary movies alone? I don't watch scary movies with anyone. Too much time taking scripts apart trying to find ways to make the scary bits plausible to have the balls for things like that.
61. Played chicken? Used to
62. Been pushed into a pool with all your clothes on? not that I can recall
63. Been told you’re hot by a complete stranger? Yeah... and more importantly I stop strangers and tell them they look good too
64. Broken a bone? Again, do I really have to answer that one?
65. Been easily amused? Have you seen me on pain meds, its like my brain shrinks to the size of a pea... and I like dad jokes anyway...
66. Laughed so hard you cried? All the time, feels amazing
67. Mooned/flashed someone? Yeah... I'm a tart.. deal with it.
68. Cheated on a test? Probably
69. Forgotten someone’s name? Yeah.. But I usually tell people I'm going to do that when I'm introduced to them.
Its been a week since I stopped napping during the day and I’m so freaking tired! I’m getting to sleep with a lot more ease at night but I’m not sure how much of that is because I’m in Canberra rather than home, but either way, I’m so tired!
Its 835am, I’ve been awake since 7am I’ve had breakfast, tea, a bottle of water my pain meds and I’m just shattered. I think this is the point where I’m meant to push through and do something active to wake up but I don’t know if I have it in me today…
I’m going to sit with a heat pack for a while and then re-asses… Send me wakeful and active thoughts please!!!